Powered by canals and steam
Shoreditch boomed in the nineteenth century, as massive transport improvements helped it become a real commercial hub. The Regent's Canal opened just to the north in 1820, and the terminus of the Eastern Counties Railway opened just off Shoreditch High Street in 1840.
The momentum grew in the 1870s when the terminus was rebuilt as The Bishopsgate Goods Yard right opposite the Tea Building. A large, two-level goods depot, it dominated the area for the best part of a century.