The Tea Building is an imposing eight-storey building that still dominates the junction of Shoreditch High Street and Bethnal Green Road.
It was initially built as a bacon factory for the Lipton brand. It's joined internally to the Biscuit Building next door, a slightly older but equally impressive warehouse which was principally used as a tea packing warehouse for most of its life.
In the Second World War an air raid shelter was added to the building, but despite the Luftwaffe's best efforts, Tea survived the blitz with little damage.
In 1947 part of the sixth floor was converted into a self-service staff canteen catering for over 500 staff and a passenger lift was added in 1950.